Saturday, October 18, 2008

Weathering the storm together

Katie was abnormally snippy this morning. At first, I overlooked it but then I let it get to me and started snipping back.

After a few minutes of this I excused myself to the bathroom where I sat and prayed, pleading for a hefty dose of self-control and insight into Katie's heart.

When I went back out, her whole attitude changed and her heart became tender. It's funny how our spirits react toward another spirit when they are mean versus full of love. I have no doubt that she could feel the change in my spirit and that's what made hers more tender.

After a few minutes of holding, singing, crying and praying together she decided to share.

"I feel like I am in a thunderstorm and I can't get out. The only thing that can get me out is daddy."

Heartbreak.

So I did the only thing I could do. I gave her all the love I could - snuggles and tickles and kisses galore - and then promptly made us big steaming cups of hot chocolate.

Marshmallows among friends can't replace daddy, but they can sure mend a broken heart.

Love, M~